Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Going Grain Free- Be A Caveman

Heard of the Paleo movement, or grain free living?

I have been experimenting with this phenomemon because I know that I am allergic to something but don't know what exactly. I believe that many of our ailments are food based. Problems such as obesity, diabetes, IBS, celiac disease, skin rashes, hormonal problems and probably dozens of other health problems can be attributed to what we put in our body. Our society has put processed food on the frontline, and more people die in America due to obesity than famine. Very sad, since so many other countries are starving to death.

I believe that nutrition should be a required course starting in elementary school! Ok, off my soapbox!
About going grain free... this is what it consists of and why it works.
NO flour or grains and that includes all kinds of flour. Here is what you can eat-------

•Meat
•Fish
•Plants
•Vegetables
•Fruits
•Nuts and Seeds
NO soy or dairy. Although I do a little goatcheese

Excuse me but do you see, pasta, corn tortillas, or even rice!? This lifestyle is also gluten free so if you have a gluten allergy you are good to go! If you are trying to reduce your size this is definitely for you! A few people include things such as buckwheat and quinoa in the diet but a true paleo diet does not include these pseudo- grains. Make no mistake no grain enthusiasts are not Atkin's lover's, in fact they promote very small amounts of animal protein while encouraging lots of veggies, nuts, seeds, and small amounts of fruit if you need to be careful of your sugar intake. Of course meat and eggs should be grassfed and organic.  I am including a couple of websites with more of the science and some recipes if you are interested. The biggest improvement I have noticed is my energy levels have improved, my blood sugar is stable, and I have less aches and pain. Grains are related to imflammation as you will discover. This diet originates from the thought that we should eat more like our paleolithic ancestors before processed food existed.  They just were not into cupcakes and bialy's back then..yep not discovered yet.  Check these sights out if you want to learn more and improve your health for the better!
http://www.livingpaleo.com/the-paleo-diet/
http://healthylivingwithmelissa.blogspot.com/2011/04/grains-go-against-grain-for-healthy.html
http://www.elanaspantry.com/    (for recipes)
Here are some grain free pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment